Black Friday is right around the corner, and shopping season is upon us! It’s that time of the year where we see a huge rise in theft, fraud and deception that lands many already-hard-pressed shoppers in hot water.
So, quickly, here are 5 money saving tips (in that if you don’t do these you’ll be in the “money saving” zone) to beware of when you’re shopping:
- Buying online from stores you’ve never heard of. At the very least, do a Google search and check them out. Use your credit card for extra fraud protection.
- Buying gifts at huge knock-down prices. It’s tempting but it’s usually too good to be true. Often, the products are either defective or fakes.
- Contributing to charities you’re unfamiliar with or putting money into street collection boxes. Give, give, give — but best to do it directly to charities you know and trust, or those operating inside stores.
- Mingling in crowds without protecting your wallet or purse. Stores are crowded of course, so they’re a magnet for pickpockets. Look after your stuff and only carry one credit card with you.
- Parking your car in the wrong place. Find a busy, well-lit area of a parking lot but try to keep your purchases with you in the mall. If you must return to your car part way through, lock your purchases well out of sight in the trunk.
If you want to check your insurance protection for your shopping activities, give CWI Underwriters a quick call, we will be happy to help!