I hope this never happens to you.. but it could: A sudden emergency, potentially life-threatening, hits your business. Are you ready? Does everyone know what to do? What’s your emergency plan?
You may be protected by insurance but an emergency plan could also save lives– and your business. And if you don’t have one, it could spell disaster.
Whether you have one or not, I recommend urgently making time, to go through the risks and responses that apply to your organization.
What’s the Plan, Stan?
It’s a good idea to get a professional help with drawing up your plan but even if you don’t, here are some essential steps:
- Review your operations to identify the risks. This should be done regularly, annually if possible.
- Identify resources available from public authorities, including the Department of Homeland Security
- Distribute information to employees and involve them in discussions about your plans
- Clearly identify evacuation routes and assembly points and make sure everyone is aware of them
- Ensure the supplies you need, like spill kits, fire extinguishers and first aid kits are readily available and accessible– in marked areas
- Write out the plan, communicate to everyone and require all employees to physically inform you when they have read it.
- Test evacuation and other relevant procedures
It’s also critical, of course, to make sure your liability, business interruption and property insurance coverage is up to date.
This is something our agents at CWI Underwriters are happy to discuss with you at any time. Just give us a call!
I truly hope you never have to use your plan. But you’ll sleep better at night knowing you have one in place!